Saturday, July 24, 2010

Research

I think I had this thought in my head when I finally hit this chapter: "Research...ughhh" I will admit to having read this chapter very quickly the day before class was to begin. Now I've had a week to reflect on it and taken with the weath of infomation I got during class, I actually had to go back a review the chapter quickly.

One thing I was surprised by was the view that up until recently, research in the Library field has been poorly conducted. Ironic, right? As librarian we are there to help the patrons and the community when they need assistance with research, and yet we were failing ourselves by not using research effectively to move forward. On top of needing good research, we need to be able to conduct the research effectively. As someone who has done lots of research in the past for history classes, I only realize now (after reading the chapter and after taking 511) that I could be more effective as well and I'll be looking for a research methods class, or something similar, as I continue this program.

*********************************
Haycock, K. & Sheldon, B. E. (Eds.). (2008). The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts. (locations 2609-2765 ). Westport, CT. Libraries Unlimited

No comments:

Post a Comment